The Registrar and Alumni Directorate of the University of Gondar was established in 1954. Until August 1994, the directorate has served as a satellite for the then Haileselassie I University, now known as Addis Ababa University. Since the beginning of September 1994, the directorate has been working independently under the University of Gondar.
During that time the registrar was serving not more than 300 students in 3 diploma offering programs. Since its establishment the number of students enrolled and programs have been increasing. With the tremendous increasing number of students, the office of the registrar is expanding its office for the purpose of accommodating and properly securing the records of the students. The office has established assistant registrar offices in each college/ faculty/institute/school and the assistant registrars are recently there are 10 assistant registrars in each campus to facilitate its duties. To abreast with the contemporary world, the Registrar and Alumni Directorate is implementing then renowned technology, the Student Information System (SIS), since the academic year 2015/16. This is a paradigm shift for the directorate in particular and the university in general where all manual activities, from registration to graduation, became automated. To use the system effectively and efficiently 25 system administrators are employed. Presently, the Registrar and Alumni Directorate is serving 45,970 active students in the undergraduate (regular extension, summer ) and post graduate (second degree, third degree, specialty and subspecialty) programs. In addition the directorate offers services for more than 60,000 alumni and other customers.
The main objective of the registrar’s office is to keep customers’ record appropriately and issue educational documents whenever demanded. Its main activities include: preparing and issuing the academic calendar, admission prospectus and student handbooks of the University on a regular basis; creating and maintaining up-to-date and accurate information on student admission, placement, registration, academic performance, retention, attrition, and graduation based on types, programs and modes of delivery; giving orientation to students, administering classrooms, lecture halls and laboratories utilization; notifying academic rules and regulations; preparing and issuing course catalogue of the University in collaboration with Colleges/faculties/Schools; notifying students’ academic status as per the existing legislation, preparing transcripts, degrees, diplomas and certificates to students as well as certifying any other related educational documents.
Mission: – The Registrar and Alumni Directorate is enthusiastic to support the University to accomplish its mission and vision through provision of quality and up-to-date services.
Vision :- In the coming five years, making the office of the Registrar and Alumni Directorate one of the leading directorates in delivering quality and timely services to the customers by equipping the directorate with modern technology and skilled manpower from Higher Education Institutions of the country.
Values: The core values are:
- Students First: What are we for without students?! Hence, we value our students and their affairs are our top concerns.
- Quality at all: Premier quality as a foundation of everything we do is our guiding principle.
- Solidarity and Teamwork: Enhancing unity and forming cohesive teams determines our future success. Thus, we value solidarity and encourage team work in our process.
- Care for Staff: Our success is based on attracting, hiring, developing and retaining best employees.
- Proudly community servant: We are not an island. We are part of and live with the community. We feel their pains and share their joy. Therefore, we feel proud to belong to and serve our community.
- Innovation: We value innovation as we are in a higher education industry where creativity and innovation are not only necessities but also mandatory.
- Committed to ethics: Compliance to legal, social and professional ethics and norms is crucial for our development and goodwill.
Goals: – improving customer satisfaction, minimize resource wastage through appropriate use of resources, using information technology for better communication, improving quality of service provision, building skills, attitude and knowledge, creating enabling working environment
Motto: – Committed to serve our customers!
Contact Registrar and Alumni Directorate
University of Gondar
Office Tel: +251-1141237
Gizachew Mulugeta Manahelohe, PhD
Director, Office of Registrar and Alumni Directorate